MUSIC TO MY EARS. I have just recently revisited this song, “You” by Switchfoot, and appreciated the beauty of it. I think my favorite part is the last two verses that say, “And I find peace when I’m confused. I find hope when I’m let down. Not in me, but in you. I hope to lose myself for good. I hope to find it in the end. Not in me, it’s you. It’s all I know.” There are many things in life that we can’t control, the slow driver that made us late to work, what the people around us say and do, or the expectations we held so dearly that weren’t met. It’s refreshing to hear these words and remember that this isn’t all there is. Getting that promotion or affirmation from your friends isn’t all this life has to give. In the big picture of it all these things are mere hiccups in the perpetual motion of breathing in and out. This motion is sustained by the hope that we have in something greater than this world. But I don’t think God created this world and put us on it to suffer or be miserable. Yes, heaven is something to look forward to but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t live our lives here on this earth. Rather, let’s bring heaven down on earth. We were meant to enjoy God’s creation; why else would he make it so beautiful?
AB-AB-MAZING FOOD. Yes. I went there. I combined abs and amazing. Why? To help you get that gut in shape with the right foods. Like I have said many times, you can work out all you want but if your diet is poor you won’t get the results you are looking for. Women’s Health Magazine located the twelve best foods for that seriously temperamental middle section. It’s time to get fit! These twelve foods are healthy, fat burning machines that you can feel good about eating. As an extra bonus, they’re also your body guards against injury and diseases. By eating these twelve foods your body will be better equipped to stop storing fat and increase its lean muscle mass. Here they are:
1. Almonds and other nuts (keep the skin): FIGHT obesity, muscle loss, heart disease, cancer, wrinkles, and high blood pressure. BUILD muscle, reduce cravings
2. Beans and legumes: FIGHT obesity, high blood pressure, colon cancer, heart disease. BUILD muscle, regulate digestion, helps burn fat.
3. Spinach and other Green Vegetables: FIGHT cancer, heart disease, obesity, stroke, osteoporosis. BUILD powers against free radicals.
4. Dairy Products (fat-free, low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese): FIGHT high blood pressure, osteoporosis, obesity, cancer. BUILD strong bones, help weight loss [gets that weight loss movin]
5. Instant oatmeal (unsweetened, unflavored): FIGHT colon cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity. BUILD energy boosts, reduces cholesterol, maintains blood sugar levels
6. Eggs: FIGHTS obesity. BUILD muscle, burn fat
7. Turkey and other Lean Meats: FIGHT various diseases and obesity. BUILD your immune system and muscle.
8. Peanut Butter (yes!): FIGHT muscle loss, wrinkles, cardiovascular disease, obesity. BUILD muscle, burns fat.
9. Olive Oil: FIGHT high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, obesity. BUILD immune system, lowers cholesterol
10. Whole-grain breads and cereals: FIGHT cancer. High blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, cancer. BUILD your body against storing fat
11. Whey powder: FIGHT obesity. BUILDS muscle, burns fat.
12. Berries: FIGHT cancer, obesity, heart disease. BUILD short-term memory, coordination, improves balance, protect heart, enhances eyesight, prevents cravings.
Combine two or three of these foods together for your main meals and eat at least one as a snack in between. Keep it exciting by trying different combinations of fat, carbohydrates and protein. For best results, try to have a little bit of protein in your snacks as well. This body is the only one you get so be conscious about what you put into it!